Saturday, September 28, 2013

Druids - 1920s



This is a set of Jewels from an organization that called themselves the Ancient Order of Druids.

These belonged to Brother R.C. Nason and were given by the Stoke Imperial Lodge (grove) 615.

The blue one in 1928 for services as Guardian, and the red one in 1927 for services as N. A.D., which I believe means Noble Arch Druid.  I am guessing on the date of the red one.

The makers marks and date marks indicate that these were manufactured in Birmingham in 1926 and 1927 by Henry Slingsby Ltd of  Seymour Road, Nuneaton.  This was a regalia manufacturing company.
These are sterling and were probably manufactured, engraved and then given a gilt plating.

I have not yet been able to work out where Stoke Imperial was, partly because the Nason family seems to have been very connected to the Druid fraternity.  For some reason I am guessing Australia or California.  I will get back to this some day.

I am not sure if the person depicted here is a specific Druid, or maybe a representation of a archetypical Druid, or maybe the prototype of the zig-zag man.

















These jewels are 3" by 2" and weigh 14 grams each.  They sterling.
relative amount I paid for this - low
As of 2/9/14 the silver scrap value works out to about $18
However, none of these are for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment